Even if you're being a couch potato this weekend - there are still ways to keep your calorie intake low (here's a hint.... no actual potato chips).
5 Tips for Cutting Calories this weekend:
1. Eat Brunch instead of breakfast and lunch. If you’re getting up late anyway, making two meals into one will cut out a good amount of your daily calorie allowance. And as much as I love a good eggs benedict (or Florentine… or Alaskan…) – try a healthier option sans-hollandaise and fried potatoes. Plus, who doesn’t love brunch??
2. Drink less sugar. Typically I’ve found that the diet-killing drinks are the ones with lots of sugar. A Smirnoff ice has about 230 calories compared to a bud light which has 110. And a can of soda vs. water? You get the point.
3. If you’re travelling somewhere, bring your own snacks. Whether your weekend brings you to the pool, a winery, or even the mall – pack a snack that is better for you than what your options might be when you’re out and about. I always throw a protein/granola bar of some sort in my purse so I don’t end up binging on food that is bad for me. (Plus – it’s cheaper!)
4. Skip a round. If you’re out for drinks with friends, you don’t have to have a drink every round. Get a beverage that you’ll drink slower, like bottled beer or a glass of wine instead of shots.
5. Fit a workout in. Don’t tell me you’re too busy or too tired – no excuses. Eating crap food and drinking on Saturday is a lot easier when you know you burned a ton of calories that morning at the gym. Even if you don’t make it to the gym, do something active as part of your weekend – swim some laps at the pool, walk around the mall, go ziplining etc.
Remember to follow the 80/20 rule and it’ll make life a lot easier. 80% of the time: eat healthy, 20% of the time: eat what you want. This way you aren’t completely restricting yourself and you aren’t beating yourself up for breaking the rules either. And if you're debating whether or not to eat/ drink something... just ask yourself WWJD?